As the drum turns, the centrifugal force presses the garments to its walls and lifts them. Then, items move down into the water and rise again.
And there can be different reasons for drum failure.
What is the issue if the washer won’t spin?
First of all, switch off the device, then you may inspect it. The drum fault can be caused by the following things:
- Foreign object
If you do not check all pockets before loading, small things can remain and fall out during the washing process. Usually, we find them later inside the drum or on the rubber seal. But they may get stuck in the hard-to-achieve places of the washer preventing the smooth performance of the drum. Try to move the drum manually to check it. If the drum fails to rotate, then there is an obstacle. You may try to look for it on your own or ask a specialist to deal with it.
The device can handle a certain amount of laundry at a time. If it is overloaded, the sensors will detect it, and the drum will lock. So it will not turn. You must pull out part of the goods and start anew.
- Worn bearings
If the drum stops or goes slowly and creaks, you need to inspect the oil seal and the bearings. The seal serves as a water barrier for the bearings. Subsequently, if it is damaged, the water gets to the bearings. Liquid washes out lubrication and corrodes the bearings. It affects the drum performance.
- Filter clogging
One of the most usual reasons for drum failure is filter clogging. When dirt and scale accumulate in the filter, the device performs an automatic stop, and the washing cycle interrupts. The washer gets blocked after it.
- Drive belt
The driving belt may become slightly stretched over time. It affects drum rotation efficiency. If the drum is immovable, it is always a clear sign that the belt has been damaged or was misplaced. Try to examine the belt for any fault when the device is turned off. If you can move the drum freely by hand and there is no noise from the motor, then the belt is damaged.
These unpleasant situations can be avoided. Please follow the instructions of the manufacturers for the correct use of the washer:
- Try not to exceed recommended weight of clothes.
- Distribute the clothes evenly inside the device.
- Always inspect the pockets of the garment: small objects can bring a lot of harm to your washing assistant.
- Use special bags for underwear and small things.
- Read attentively what amount of detergent and other cleaning substances can be used for one washing cycle.
If you notice any changes during machine performance like creaks or unexpected program stops, it is better to ask a specialist to check it for possible faults. Remember that a malfunctioning device will break sooner or later. And the final repair may cost a fortune.
What causes problems with spinning and draining?
Sometimes the washer manages the washing procedure normally, but then you find out that your things are too wet and some water is still inside the device. Let’s see what causes this situation. There are a few reasons:
- The “No spin” program is on, or the mode for delicate washing has been selected. In this case, the garments are moderately pressed out.
- If clogging has occurred in the draining pipes, then the water cannot be disposed of after washing. In this case, spinning cannot begin.
- A load limit has been exceeded, which has led to an imbalance. Things went astray on one side, the washer stopped its work.
- The pressure switch is broken and sends wrong information about the level of water in the tank. Without a command, the spinning will not begin.
- Mistakes in the control board. Perhaps the wiring burned out or some other detail failed.
How do you fix a front load washer that won’t spin?
First, you need to pull out everything from the tank. To do this, stop the program and disable the device. Then wait for the loading hatch to unlock and remove everything. If your machine has stopped with undrained water, you can dispose of it using instructions from the manual. If you managed to do all this, then it’s time to determine the causes of the malfunction.
Most malfunctions are easy to prevent. The complex of preventive measures includes:
- regular cleaning of the drain filter. Clean it every few months. It is also worth cleaning the filter after washing very dirty items or sports shoes;
- the use of special cleansers. For this purpose, you can use household chemicals like citric acid and vinegar;
- proper drying of the machine after each wash. It is important to empty well the washing powder tray and leave the door open. It is necessary to eliminate the moisture.
Following these simple rules will prolong the life of your assistant.